CULTURE & HERITAGE
Under the New South Wales Aboriginal Land Rights Act, it is the function of every land council ‘to promote and protect Aboriginal culture and the heritage of Aboriginal persons in its area’.
Over 4500 sites of cultural significance are registered within Metro’s boundaries, with most of these sites located in northern boundaries of MLALC.
There are many more unregistered sites of cultural significance within our boundaries. It is Metro’s role to protect, care and manage the sites not only for the benefit of our members, but for all Australians to appreciate for generations to come.
- Aboriginal Sites Identification, Assessment & Surveying
- Aboriginal Archaeological Excavation
- Repatriation of Skeletal Remains and Artefacts
- Monitoring of Aboriginal Sites
- Protection & Restoration of Aboriginal Sites
- Welcome to Country